Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Hindsight is 20/20

I love the church I attend in Dallas, Texas. Initially I was brought there by a now ex-boyfriend. After we split and he left town, I decided that church was going to be my place of worship. Life has moved on since the break up and much has changed, including his marital and parental status.

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in the sanctuary waiting for the church service to begin. Lo and behold, who sits down right in front of me? Yep, you guessed it! My ex, his wife, and the three kids (yes, I said three). “You’ve got to be kidding me,” is what I mumbled to the Lord. I decided to be mature about it though and not move…not to mention the service was about to begin.

As much as I tried to not let my mind go to thoughts of regret, nostalgia, and create “what if” scenarios, it did. By the time the two hour service was over, I had had enough of looking in on what I thought would be my life. Three years ago when I first visited, I envisioned myself sitting in the pew as his wife, with his children…but in reality it was not me.

Then the Lord allowed me to see things from a different perspective from my row behind them, which I would not have been able to see if I had been sitting on the row with him as his wife. My hindsight view allowed me first of all to see God’s Sovereignty. There is no plan B with God! If I was supposed to be on that row with him, I would have been. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Secondly, God allowed me to see that marriage and kids are a huge responsibility. As a single in Christ, I am undivided! In I Corinthians 7:32-33 Paul says:

“I would like for you to be free from concern. An unmarried man (or woman) is concerned about the Lord’s affairs-how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world-how he can please his wife-and his interests are divided.”

Marriage and kids will all come in its time…but now I have an opportunity to serve the Lord in reckless abandonment! For example, in February of this year I had the awesome opportunity to go on a short term mission’s trip to South Africa! So, if you are single, the Lord does not want you to be divided. Notice the passage says that a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world…marriage is important, and should be honored by all, but it is temporal. It is not the highest calling, remember! (see The Highest Calling article) Lastly, from my hindsight view the Lord presented me with a challenge. This was the hardest because it entailed something that I couldn’t see with my eyes…it involves faith. It was as if I could hear the Holy Spirit saying to me, “Will you have faith in Me with the details of your life?” Remember that faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (Hebrews 11:1)

I can’t see what lies in the future but on that day from where I was seated, I was able to see that hindsight is 20/20 after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How many times have I "moved on to Plan B"? Your objectivity is inspiring.