Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Apprentice

School's out for summer! I am so excited about the summer and all God has in store for me. As a part of my degree program I have to do an internship. I have the honor of interning this summer at Prestonwood Baptist Church in the Women's Ministry. I am super excited and have tons to learn! They have lots to keep me busy this summer: Bible studies, a mission trip to El Salvador, a leadership retreat, and the day-to-day ministry responsibilities. I can't wait to share with you all I will learn as I prepare to launch out into women's ministry in the future.

I've discovered that ministering to women is my passion. I am a by-product of one woman, Julie, (pictured above) pouring God's Truth into my life. As a result, I have been changed, and desire to be a change-agent in the lives of other women for the glory of God! The Biblical mandate for women's ministry is found in scripture in Titus 2:3-5:

Older women likewise are to exhibit behavior fitting for those who are holy, not slandering, not slaves to excessive drinking, but teaching what is good. In this way they will train the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be self-controlled, pure, fulfilling their duties at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the message of God may not be discredited. (NET Bible)

For thousands of years women have been doing 'women's ministry.' It has been recently, within the last 20 years women's ministry has flourished. Churches are understanding the need for a ministry specifically tailored to meet the needs of women in their congregation. So, I am studying how to effectively create a women's ministry from some of the best in Dallas! I am humbled and grateful.

What about you? Do you see a need for women's ministry in your church? Who has been that Titus 2 Woman in your life? Or do you sense God calling you to be that older woman to teach a younger woman the 'how to's' of life? I pray you would consider the mandate for women ministering to women found in Titus 2:3-5. Check back here as I will be posting updates about my internship & sharing tools for effectively ministering to women.

No comments: