Monday, May 01, 2006

Grateful for the Small Stuff...

During my morning walk in the neighborhood I discovered a new sound that brought a smile to my face and peace to my soul. It was the sound of the wind blowing through the huge oak trees in my neighborhood. As I listened, I noticed that it almost sounded identical to ocean waves brushing up on the shore.

How many times have I walked down the same street and heard the same sound but never noticed it; never appreciated it?

I think today was different because last night I was in a car accident that could have potentially been fatal. I was driving down the street and as I came to a major intersection, a truck, attempting to turn left on a yield hit me. The bumper came completely off and was on the other side of the road. Thankfully, no one was hurt...I only suffered a couple of cuts and welps on my arm from the air bag.

It's times like those that make you really appreciate life. From loved ones, to having mobility of your body, to the sound of the wind through the trees...
How easily we forget the small things of life that are a blessing. How quickly it can all be taken away.

What are the small things in life you enjoy?

What are the small things in life you take for granted?


I encourage you to find those things, enjoy them, thank God for them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyn-z. You are so right about enjoying the small stuff. There are a lot of things in life that we take for granted and we don't realize how special they are until they're gone. Consider the rain. It can sometimes be worrisome because it can ruin our plans or just make the day seem drab. But when the rain comes after going through a long drought, it doesn't seem to be so bad then because we realize how much we needed it while it was gone.