Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lost and Found


It never ceases to amaze me. I am always losing something. The most recent article I "lost" was my wallet. I couldn't find it on Monday morning and went into panic mode because I rembered having it, yet I couldn't seem to retrace my steps back and find it. I looked under the bed, in my bed, in my car, my purses, the trash can...and no wallet.

I was afraid that someone might have picked it up. They would have been disappointed though because I had about $.50 in change in there, but my social security card was in my wallet, along with my American Express card. So, I called to check if there had been any charges made to my account, and there had not been...thank you, Lord! As I was telling my friend Kanika about my "missing wallet" and my social security card MIA as well, she gently reminded me,

"Now, you know you aren't supposed to carry your social security card, right?"

Of course I knew that, "But where am I supposed to put it?"

Now, Kanika is smart, but this was a genious piece of advice I had never considered: "Put your social security card with your passport."

"Oh." I was speechless. I really had never considered that option. I just put it in my wallet because I didn't know where to put it. I'm a little slow, I know...

Another piece of advice given by a friend who worked in the banking industry: to avoid consumer ID fraud, you can put a "fraud alert" on your credit. This way anytime credit is attempted, you will be notified. This alert can be placed for 90 days, 1 year, or 7 years.

Tuesday morning as I was rushing out of the house (as usual), I went to put something in my bag, and lo and behold: my wallet. So, I did not have to put a fraud alert on my credit, nor did I cancel any of my credit cards. Thank you, Lord!

What was lost became found...

When things like this happen, I just look up and say, "Ok, Lord...what does this mean? What is the spiritual application here?" Everytime I ask that question, the Holy Spirit is faithful to teach me something about the character of God.

Consider with me Luke 19:10, "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

After Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden, all of "you know what" broke lose and paradise was lost. Pure fellowship with God was broken, and has been since sin's advent into the world. Yet, we serve a God who did not leave us to be lost forever.

In Luke 19:10 we see Jesus' mission defined: to seek the lost in order that they may be found. However, in order to be found, one must know they are lost. Romans 3:23 states that all have sinned, and it is our sin that makes us lost and in desperate need to be found.

Are you lost?

Do you need to be found?

Here are a couple of verses to lead you to be found by God:

John 3:16
Romans 6:23
Romans 10:9

Posting this with a prayer for the lost to be found...

No comments: