Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Zipped Off!


Q: Have you ever heard of a bridesmaid who got more stressed out than the bride?

A: Me

Yep, that's right. I am a bridesmaid in a wedding on Saturday, and I have been a wreck! I have found myself stressed out over everything, most of which has been mundane, but last night something happened that put the icing on the well--wedding cake! (sorry I couldn't resist)

I'm trying on my beautiful, red satin dress last night and for some ungodly reason, the zipper got stuck and would not unzip. It was horrible. My mom and I were pulling on that zipper like we were in tug of war contest. Finally, after we broke a sweat, I decided we couldn't play that game all night and to just cut me out of the dress. So, my mom took a pair of scissors to the zipper and with one snip I was out, and with one snip my dress was officially ruined!

It's just a zipper. No big deal, right? Just put another one in there and it will be all good. I took my dress over to David's Bridal and they agreed to put one in for $80. I'm sorry, but that is just ridiculous! Perhaps what is even more ridiculous is that I started crying in the store. The tears hit me right as I was swipping my credit card and I realized I was paying almost as much to have a zipper put in as I paid for the entire dress!

Needless to say, I'm zipped off!

I know there are other things in this world that are much more crucial, for example, the situation in Darfur, world poverty, and the threat of terrorism. But $80 to replace a zipper? Come on, now! They know that's not right!

Yet & still it amazes me how God knew this was going to happen. He knew I would be in this situation. It's not an accident, it was a part of His plan, and He says He works ALL things together for good. Even a zipper gone bad.

I told the story to a friend, and she e-mailed me back a great verse I had so easily forgotten in my time of being zipped off:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

No comments: