Many of us have the desire to spend quality devotional time with the Lord, but don't know how to do it or where to begin. Don't be discouraged, and whatever you do, don't neglect your personal time spent with the Lord, for it is a litmus test of relationships you have with others.
Here are some suggestions of how to spend your daily devotional time:
1. Keep a prayer journal-This is a good way to log all of your prayer requests and it serves as a way to think about God's goodness. It's also neat to look back over your journal and see how God answered your prayers or met your needs.
2. Study the book of Proverbs in a month- This book has 31 chapters. Read a chapter a day corresponding with the calendar date. For example, read chapter 14 since today is December 14th. Jot down personal notes over each chapter and ask God for His wisdom in your life.
3. Worship- Get out your favorite worship CD and spend your time focused on the goodnes of God. Remember worship of God begins with Him, not us!
4. Select one verse and study it for a week- This is really fun. This week I have been studying Phil. 4:6-8. I began by just observing the passages, then I journaled some thoughts regarding the passage, and I prayed for God to help clarify the meaning of the passage. Be patient with the Word of God. One single passage is full of so many things.
5. Write a note of encouragement for someone else-You may know of someone who is going through a rough time, or maybe you want to thank someone for being a special friend. Hand write them a note and afterwards pray for that individual in every area of their life. It's a great way to take the focus off yourself and to lift up another brother or sister in Christ.
These are just some of my ideas of what I do during my devotional time. What about you? How do you spend your devotional time with the Lord?
Or maybe you don't spend time with the Lord...it's ok, you can start today!